According to an American business executive, Jack Welch, Six Sigma is a quality program that improves the customer’s experience when all is said and done and lowers the costs, and which thereby builds better leaders”.
What Is Six Sigma?
It is a measure of quality that acts to strive for perfection. It is also known as “customer perfection”, “zero defect process”, or “operational excellence”.
It is a data-driven and disciplined approach used as a methodology for eliminating defects.
It uses six standard deviations between the nearest specification limit and the mean in any process. They are used from product to service and manufacturing to transactional.
Generally, it can be a statistical representation of the quantitative process and a measure of how a process is performing.
How to Achieve It Statistically?
- More than 3.4 defects must not be produced per million opportunities to achieve it.
- The opportunity is the chances of the defect.
- By using a six sigma calculator, all the chances of defects can be easily calculated.
Implementing a measurement-based strategy that focuses on variation reduction and process improvement is the primary objective of this methodology.
There are two sub methodologies, they are-
The DMAIC stands for-
This methodology helps the existing processes that need improvement for defects falling below specification, thereby providing incremental improvement.
The DMADV stands for-
This methodology develops new products or processes them at quality levels. It can also be more than incremental improvement.
The strategies of its implementation can significantly vary between different organisations. The implementation depends on the business goals of distinct culture and strategic business goals.
The two primary options of an organisation are as follows:
- The implementation or initiative.
- To develop its infrastructure.
The benefits of its infrastructure are as follows-
- It causes a more significant impact on the projects with the best results.
- It utilises every tool in a productive way and well-focused way.
- It provided a project management process and studies that can be improved in the future and studied clearly.
- It enhances communications between practitioners and managers with the help of project presentations.
- It helps to facilitate the critical business processes with a detailed understanding.
- It adds value to the organisations with the appropriate usage of this statistical tool, as it saves a lot of time.
- Customer Satisfaction: The business can improve quality control by upgrading and improving its quality to achieve improved finished product, which leads to higher customer satisfaction.
- Employee satisfaction: It can also direct employees to a common cause. It offers a chance to rationalise the message, which helps create a sense of companionship among the employees to get better results.
The training and certification will help achieve a platform for improvement, and the knowledge gained by this certification will help gain sustained quality improvement.
There are certifications for six sigma, they are-
Certified Six-Sigma Black Belt (CSSBB)
It explains the principles and philosophies of the supporting tools and systems. The black belt indicates knowledge of all the aspects of the DMAIC model and principles.
Certified Six-Sigma Green Belt (CSSGB)
It operates under the supervision of the Black Belt and helps solve quality problems and analyses them for improvement projects.
Certified Six-Sigma Yellow Belt (CSSYB)
It helps to develop interest and foundational knowledge. It also helps to provide an overview of DMAIC.
Therefore, six sigma is the essential tool for learning and analysing business processes and to improve the quality of the business product and process.